The Journey Church can be described as a diverse family of Christ-followers who are journeying together towards knowing God and making God known. Before starting The Journey Church, Bruce worked in the corportate world. Feeling the call of God towards ministry, he and Jenni moved to Cape Town to study at the Bible Institute of South Africa. He then led a church in Mbabane, Swaziland, for three years before moving to Empangeni where he led a church for 10 years. In 2009, Bruce and Jenni moved to Johannesburg to plant a church and ended up on the eldership of GodFirst Church.
The church was started and is led by Bruce Mackenzie who has always enjoyed strong support from his wife Jenni. Bruce and Jenni are parents to 3 grown up children who all love and serve Jesus.
Bruce leads the church with three other gifted men, Graham Ralston, Khula Mdluli and Trevor Wridgeway.
1. Bible: We believe that the Scriptures of the Old Testament and New Testament in their original writing are fully inspired by God and accept them as the supreme and final authority for faith and life.
2. Trinity and Sovereignty: We believe in the sovereignty of one God: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. God upholds and rules over all things. He governs and reigns supreme over the entirety of creation including over mankind, accomplishing through nature and man his eternal purposes. Yet, at no time is God’s integrity violated, and at no time does he violate our integrity, responsibility or our freedom to choose (Is 46v9-10; Eph 1v11; Eccl 7v13; 1 Tim 6v15; Ps 115v3; Dan 4v35).
3. Sin: We believe that human beings, though created in the image of God, are sinful, guilty, and lost without Christ.
4. Deity and work of Christ: We believe that Jesus Christ, as begotten by the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary, is fully God and fully man. We believe that on the cross Jesus Christ became sin for us, was judged by God and died in our place. We believe in the bodily resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ, His ascension into Heaven, and His present ministry as our High Priest and advocate with the Father.
5. Conversion: We believe that all who are justified by the grace of God through faith in Jesus Christ are born again of the Holy Spirit and thereby become children of God. We believe other religions and ideologies are not alternative paths to God, and that human spirituality, if unredeemed by Christ, does not lead to God but to judgement and damnation.
6. Eternal Security and Assurance of Believers:We believe that all the redeemed, once saved, are kept by God’s power and are thus secure in Christ forever ( Leaving a church well; 10v27–30; Romans 8v1, 38, 39; 1 Corinthians 1v4–8; 1 Peter 1v5). We believe that it is the privilege of believers to rejoice in the assurance of their salvation through the testimony of God’s Word, which clearly forbids the use of Christian liberty as an occasion for the flesh (Romans 13v13, 14; Galatians 5v13; Titus 2v11–15).
7. Holy Spirit: We believe in the ministry and gifts of the Spirit. We believe in the importance of each believer being filled with the Holy Spirit by which believers are empowered and equipped for service. We believe that it is vital that the Christian life be continually demonstrating the fruit of the Spirit.
8. Heaven and Hell: We believe in the resurrection of the just and the unjust, the eternal blessedness of the redeemed, and the eternal damnation of those who have rejected God’s offer of salvation.
9. Second Coming: We believe in the personal and visible return of the Lord Jesus Christ in power and glory to judge the living and the dead.
10. Church: We believe that the local Church should be the expression of the one true and universal Church and therefore that the new birth and personal confession of faith in Christ are essentials of Church membership. We desire to fellowship and work with other ministries and congregations of like profession of faith for the spreading of the gospel.
11. Communion: We believe that the Lord’s Supper is the partaking of the emblems, which symbolise the broken body and shed blood of Christ, in remembrance of His sacrificial death until He comes.
12. Water Baptism: The scriptures teach that baptism should follow repentance, as the external sign of our internal salvation. In accordance with the command and example of Christ, water baptism is a requirement of Church membership at The Journey Church for those believers who have not already been baptised.
Before starting The Journey Church, Bruce worked in the corportate world. Feeling the call of God towards ministry, he and Jenni moved to Cape Town to study at the Bible Institute of South Africa. He then led a church in Mbabane, Swaziland, for three years before moving to Empangeni where he led a church for 10 years. In 2009, Bruce and Jenni moved to Johannesburg to plant a church and ended up on the eldership of GodFirst Church.
Our Values are what we consider to be core expressions of Biblical truth that create the culture of the church.
1. Sound Doctrine – What we believe about God
- Clarity of conscience
In essentials, unity
In non-essentials, liberty
In all things, charity
- Clarity in doctrine
Essentially Reformed (How we view God and His Saving grace)
Spirit-Empowered (We value God’s presence and gifts)
Mission focused (We embrace God’s mission)
2. Gospel – How we get to know God
- Keeps our focus on Jesus
- Reinforces our commitment to preaching to the heart
- Ignites a passion for worship
3. Grace – The evidence of knowing God
- Remembering the poor
4. Mission – The work given by God
- Make disciples
- Loving the West Rand
- Heart for the nations
5. Togetherness – The display of who we are in God
- We are a family
- We guard our family
- We love to meet as family