Next week, 6-12 January 2014, we are calling the Journey Church to a time of prayer and fasting. This will be taking place each weekday evening from 6:30 at the warehouse where The Journey Church meets. On Saturday we will be meeting from 8am. There are a number of reasons why we believe that this is an appropriate thing to be doing as a church:
- We acknowledge that we are dependent upon God for all things. In actual fact, prayer is our most basic expression that we are weak and He is strong and we need Him to act on our behalf.
- We desire that He is glorified in all that we do.
- We need Him to open doors for the Gospel, instill a passion for His name in His people and then to also save people.
- He said He would build His church - we want Him to!
- We make the statement that we desire God more than anything else - even food
- Fasting and prayer positions us as a church to be ready for what God wants to do.
- If our plans don't drive up to call our to God in prayer, we need to ask if they are not perhaps more of an insult to God.
If you would like some more information on fasting, IHOP has a very helpful document that us availavle here - http://www.ihopkc.org/about/files/2012/08/Forerunner-Lifestyle-IHOPKC-Fasting-Guidelines-and-Information.pdf
Let's work together in doing what William Carey said, "Expect great thing from God - Attempt great things for God!" Remember that as a church we are Journeying together towards knowing God and making God known! Surely we need Him with us for that!